The training in this course will cover the skills and knowledge required by chainsaw operators in a non-production environment, including forest, rural and community environments, to assess, plan and safely carry out manual tree-felling operations using a chainsaw. It covers the felling procedures for trees with a level of complexity that requires significant tree assessment and practical felling skills. Persons competent with these skills should be able to effectively fell most trees except very large trees, and/or those with significant defects and/or characteristics that cause excessive complexity, specifically, trees that have a diameter greater than the bar length of the chainsaw.
Licensing, legislative, regulatory, or certification requirements apply to this unit in some states & territories at the time of publication and may differ according to jurisdiction.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
Participants must have the physical capacity to use a chainsaw whilst wearing the appropriate PPE to fell intermediate level trees with the following characteristics:
- lean and weight distribution, which can be assessed and readily adapted to falling direction with the use of wedges and/or control with hinge-wood
- various dimensions relative to local forest size distribution
- limited visible damage or defect
- species prone to free splitting and adverse reactions during felling
- single or multi-stems
- diameter of tree greater than chainsaw bar length
- grown on terrain and slope that can add complexity to the operation
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
- Emergency and safety equipment
- Personal protective equipment
- Tools and equipment
- Chainsaw and components
- Communication techniques
- Preparation for tree felling scenario
- Assess, plan and carry out tree-felling operations appropriate to conditions for 3 different trees
- Completion of a risk assessment table for a list of typical hazards
- Completion of a fault log for 1 item of equipment
- A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.