This course set would be beneficial for individuals working within the forest, agricultural, local council, emergencies services and other government agency environment. (With the exception of minor forest produce, it is not relevant to commercial harvesting operations).
This training will cover the skills and knowledge required by chainsaw operators to prepare for, assess and manually fall the class of basic trees or small trees with a low level of complexity and to safely trim and cut felled trees with a chainsaw and complete operator maintenance. Tree felling techniques will include scarf cutting, back cutting to provide hinge-wood and the use of wedges to assist in controlling falling direction. Further techniques, such as safely and efficiently using a chainsaw to trim and cut hardwood or softwood trees, delimb trees, trim branches, trim burls and other small growths will also be covered. Participants will also learn to use specific cutting techniques and working in varied weather conditions.
Licensing, legislative, regulatory, or certification requirements apply to this unit in some states & territories at the time of publication and may differ according to jurisdiction.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
Participants must have:
- The physical capacity to use a chainsaw whilst wearing the appropriate PPE to fell basic trees
- The skills to complete accurate basic records for tree felling process, equipment faults and maintenance requirements, estimate tree dimensions, including height, length, diameter and volume, complete routine calculations and report on size, length, diameter of felled trees etc.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Performance tasks and practical scenarios:
- Emergency and safety equipment – select, inspect, check, report and maintain
- Personal protective equipment – select, inspect, check, report and use
- Tools and equipment – select, inspect, check, report and maintain
- Chainsaw and components – select, inspect, check, report and maintain:
- Sharpening and fitting spare chain and tension chain
- Inspection, identification and replacement of bar, chain, drive sprockets
- Refuelling, bar oil checks and top up
- Air filter, check, clean and replacement
- Cleaning of the saw body, air intake vents and cooling fans
- Assess, plan and carry out tree-felling operations appropriate to conditions for 3 different trees
- Assess, plan and conduct activities for trimming and cutting on 3 separate/different trees in varied weather conditions including:
- Delimb trees, trim branches, trim burls and other small growths using:
- Bridging cuts, swinging cuts, side bind cuts, boring, wedge cut and ripping cuts
Documentation – Completion of an equipment maintenance and fault log, relative to equipment used for practical tasks and scenarios.
Theory assessment – A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.