This course is designed to provide the knowledge and skills required by chainsaw operators to maintain engine or electrically operated hand-held chainsaws. It includes sharpening chains and completing routine and frequently required service requirements as well as periodic servicing. Work is completed in a variety of work settings including a forest environment, agricultural, workshop, arboretum and horticultural settings.
Furthermore, it will provide the knowledge and skills required by an individual to cut materials with a hand-held chainsaw in their workplace, and then prepare for and complete those tasks in a safe manner, following relevant work health and safety (WHS) regulations.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
Participants must have the physical capacity to undertake the physical requirements of the course, for example, be able to use tools and equipment to maintain a chainsaw and have reading and writing skills to read instructions and complete fault logs etc.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
- Prepare for operation
- Personal protective equipment and clothing
- Set up for operation
- Conduct operations
- Cut materials – this task must be done 3 times, on 3 different types of material
- Maintain equipment during and after operations
- Finalise operations
- Plan and prepare for service/maintenance activities
- Select tools and equipment
- Conduct chainsaw maintenance activities
- Check and sharpen chain saw chains
- Clean up – Complete maintenance records and fault log
Documentation – Completion of an equipment fault log.
Theory assessment – A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.