As with any training, it is more useful if training occurs before being confronted with an actual real-life situation. This course will allow you to develop skills and knowledge and most importantly the confidence to provide first aid treatment to preserve life, prevent the condition from worsening and promote recovery.
It includes initial intervention in a casualty with a serious condition prior to professional medical help being available such as performing CPR while awaiting an ambulance or administering asthma medication for a severe asthma attack, as well as the complete treatment of other conditions from controlling bleeds, applying water for burns, assisting someone choking to treating a casualty who has been bitten by a snake.
Successful completion of this course will also provide participants with the knowledge and skills to be able to develop asthma management plans for those diagnosed with asthma in the workplace.
The course is delivered in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines and is essential for you to be able to provide immediate and effective first aid to workers or others who have been injured or become ill at the workplace, community or at home.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
Participants must have the physical capacity to perform 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on the floor.
Participants must have the physical fitness to be able to meet the demands of the practical demonstration such as assisting a casualty into the correct position and administering asthma medication.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Performance tasks and scenarios:
- Perform CPR on an infant
- Perform CPR on an adult
- Anaphylaxis (allergic reaction)
- Administer asthma medication (with a spacer) using a personal asthma action plan
- Administer asthma medication without a spacer
- Choking with airway obstruction
- Unconscious casualty
- Bleeding and shock
- Snake or funnel-web spider bite
- Sprains and fractures
Documentation - The student must complete the following to the appropriate standard:
- First aid/Incident report form
- Complete a risk assessment for asthma and an individual management plan for a child with asthma based on a case study and information provided
- Individual asthma management plan for a child, which includes a communication plan to raise awareness of the child’s triggers and their management plan
Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.