This unit applies to individuals who are responsible for trimming and cutting felled or fallen trees with a chainsaw. Individuals will learn to visually assess the job activity; correctly identify areas of compression and tension in logs; learn different cut types; and how to plan the sequences of cuts accordingly. Individuals will also develop the skills and knowledge required to undertake basic operator maintenance for fuel or electrically powered hand-held chainsaws.
Typically, these individuals work in arboriculture, forestry, agriculture, conservation and land management, local government, emergency services and other government agency operations. This unit does not apply to commercial harvesting operations except for minor forest produce.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- The visual acuity and manual dexterity to disassemble a chainsaw, sharpen the chain and other components and reassemble the serviced chainsaw components.
- Basic skills to interpret and complete workplace documentation using technical and workplace-specific vocabulary; and effectively consult and coordinate with team members and other appropriate personnel to complete the work
- It is recommended students wear lace-up steel boots, chain saw trousers or chaps and a three in one helmet (hard hat, wear muffs and visor)
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
- Trim and cut six (6) felled trees
- Maintain chainsaw and cutting attachments
- Complete relevant workplace records and forms
- A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions.