This course set applies to individuals who are responsible for assessing and manually felling basic and intermediate trees, as well as trimming and cutting felled or fallen trees with a chainsaw. Individuals will learn to visually assess the job activity; correctly identify areas of compression and tension in logs; learn different cut types; and how to plan the sequences of cuts accordingly, assess, plan and safely carry out manual felling of trees with a level of complexity that requires significant tree assessment and practical felling skills. Individuals will also develop the skills and knowledge required to conduct routine and periodic servicing for fuel or electrically powered hand-held chainsaws including dismantling, cleaning, inspecting and re-assembling the power head and cutting attachments.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- The visual acuity and manual dexterity to disassemble a chainsaw, sharpen the chain and other components and reassemble the serviced chainsaw components
- The physical capacity to use a chainsaw whilst wearing the appropriate PPE to fell basic trees
- Basic skills to interpret and complete workplace documentation, using technical and workplace specific vocabulary; and consult and coordinate with team members and other appropriate personnel to ensure chainsaw maintenance activities are completed as well as the numeracy skills to calculate ratios and measure quantities of oils and fuels
- It is recommended students wear lace up steel boots, chain saw trousers or chaps and a three in one helmet (hard hat, hearing protection and visor)
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
- Maintain chainsaw (routine and periodic)
- Check and sharpen two chainsaw chains
- Fell four (4) basic trees
- Fell six (6) intermediate trees
- Conduct trimming and cutting on six (6) felled trees, demonstrating a minimum of three (3) different cut types
- Complete relevant workplace records and forms
- A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions.