This unit will provide you with an overview of integrated pest management and the knowledge and skills to determine if chemicals are required for pest control across a range of industries. The unit covers the techniques to correctly calculate chemical solutions, prepare and mix chemicals, calibrate equipment, and to apply them safely. You will learn the vital importance of complying with chemical label instructions and methods of application. When a pesticide is used, you are legally responsible for ensuring that it is used correctly.
Anyone who uses hazardous chemicals in their workplace or business needs to be trained in accordance with Occupational/ Work Health and Safety (OHS/ WHS) legislation.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- Language, literacy and numeracy requirements - students must be able to read and comprehend chemical labels and Safety Data Sheets (SDS). Writing is required to the level of completing workplace forms and producing any required reports. Numeracy is required to calculate the volume, rate or dosage of chemical(s) to be applied and the amount required to complete the work activity.
- Physical capability to handle and use chemicals and chemical equipment, lift and carry some loads using equipment, and handle chemical spray equipment.
- Visual acuity to distinguish chemical labelling information, plant and pet identification, and manage outside environments under cold and warm conditions.
- Protective slip resistant footwear/safety shoes and long pants must be provided by the student and worn during the practical sessions and assessment.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Assessments conducted during face-to-face training session(s) include:
- Identify the need for chemical use
- Prepare an application plan
- Identify hazards and manage risks
- Calibrate application equipment
- Prepare, mix and load chemicals
- Apply and clean up after chemical use
Theory assessment - A written exam consisting of multiple choice and short answer questions to be completed at the end of the training session.